Monday, June 13, 2011

[Whew]

We made it to the Doctor today, and luckily Frank was able to come with me to help wrangle the kids. Had he not been there, my head would have exploded. Literally.


One of the things the Doctor said (after spending 5 minutes in a room with the 5 of us) is that it's no wonder I am struggling with losing weight, struggling with anxiety and depression, and struggling to hold it all together. It took that one sentence to feel the weight of the world lifted from my soldiers. I could have broken down then and there, but we had issues to discuss.


The girls are FINALLY over their allergies for the most part. Emery is going to start taking some allergy medication before bedtime to help with her runny nose. They both have very severe diaper rashes... but my mother claims that I always had bad diaper rash when I was young too. The Doc said that it can be genetic. We got a RX for them and hopefully it helps. All in all the girls are in good health :)


In regards to ME (yeah, ME)... I am just going to come out and say it. I have a consultation with a Bariatric Surgeon sometime in the next week or two. I am expecting a call in the next few days. After speaking with the Doctor, we both feel that looking into Gastric Bypass might be the way to go for me.


We discussed my diet and exercise, and the Doctor was rather impressed with my knowledge about food and fat-burning specific exercise. In fact, he told me that what I mentioned to him I have been trying for the last few months would be EXACTLY what he was going to suggest I try.


There was another treatment he suggested where I would be given a hormone injection every day for a month. It would be the same hormone that women produce when they are pregnant. Along with that hormone I would eat a 500 calorie specific diet, thus speeding up my metabolism. He said that in most cases it was successful, but there are a few cases in which it does not work. This method would NOT be covered by our insurance however (and honestly, the idea of injections freaks me out. I have NEVER been good with needles.)


Our insurance WILL cover GBS since my BMI is over 39. There is a slim chance they could require that I be under the care and observation of a Physician for 3 months to qualify for full insurance benefits. The Doctor and I discussed that today as well... and today marks day 1 of that 3 months (if required by my insurance.) I will find all of this information out when I meet with the Bariatric surgeon.


The Doctor also gave me a RX of Cymbalta to help with my anxiety/depression/ and trouble sleeping. He says that it's very obvious that I am struggling with some pretty intense emotional issues and he believes that taking a bit of medication might level me out a little bit. At this point, I am ready to try anything (as long as it doesn't turn me into a zombie.) 


So, it seems that in the next few weeks I am going to be experiencing some pretty big changes. If the insurance does NOT require that I wait 3 months, I could be scheduled for surgery before the end of the summer. If they do require 3 months, I would have the surgery before the end of the year. It is overwhelming to think of what that would mean for me. I am ready for whatever is ahead of me. Good things :)

1 comment:

  1. You can do the HCG diet but it is also hard and not a full fix. It is not a life style. I did that diet this last year and lost 25 lbs in less than 21 days. You don't exercise during it at all because you'd burn your calories. You don't have to do the injections, you can get it in a liquid form that you just put 10 drops under your tongue 15 minutes before you eat. I can hook you up with that if you want. I did this and it kicked into my anorexic self so I ate less than 500 toward the end and I had to stop myself. There is a maintenance phase that is supposed to help you transition back in but I still gained 10 lbs back. It's something worth looking into. You can either do a 21 day or a 42 day then you have to wait 3 months before you can do it again due to safety issues. I can refer you to someone who sells it and knows a lot more than me if you want.

    ReplyDelete